Friday, June 4, 2010

Dining Room Table Settings

Mark Hampton wrote, "We should all remember that dining rooms are really stage sets." I love this idea on so many levels. I love the notion that gatherings in this room are planned with lots of details and provide a bit of an escape--just like an ideal dinner party. I also love the idea that the dining room can be a little outside of the realm of the everyday. For some clients (myself included) this means some less durable furniture, and even breakables! Finally, I love to really set the stage in the dining room. I can't begin to tell you how fun (and I mean FUN!) it is to go through a client's china drawer/cabinet/box/garage corner and put together a beautiful place setting.

I have long been inspired by Carolyne Roehm who does beautiful work at the table (even has a cutting garden specifically for bringing flowers inside for these vignettes). And, it seems that every designer who publishes, ends up doing some version of an entertaining book. I completely understand why--this is the best part of having a welcoming, comfortable, and beautiful home! So, perhaps some of you are planning a special dinner party in the next few weeks. And, while every other part of the country gets to be outside, if you are in Seattle you may still be using that dining room.

As you plan your party, here are some schemes by Carolyne Roehm that make me happy.









Green Glasses! Colored glassware is a great way to bring in some fun--or history if you are using something antique. While these look great with the green plates, feel free to pair with another color, maybe white china with a blue band, or a paper plate in a basket for a more casual feel.


















Put your flowers in Pottery! And, repetition is wonderful.











Stripes and sunflowers look so great together. Considering using an even stronger table cloth or napkins--bold black and white stripes would look amazing. Makes me think of August...










And, above, is one not from Carolyne Roehm, but from a lovely baby shower thrown by a friend. I love the white linen placemats and crystal goblets juxtaposed with the natural eggs and fluffy flowers.

I think we need to throw a party!

http://www.carolyneroehm.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment